Students in Pre-K through grade 12, and a special artist division are invited to create theme-based artwork in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography or visual arts. Membership in the Virginia PTA provides the opportunity to participate in the National PTA Reflections Arts Contest. This competition encourages students to explore the arts and express themselves by providing positive recognition for their artistic efforts. Since it was founded in 1969 by Mary Lou Anderson, millions of students have benefited from this program.
The theme for 2022-2023 is “Show Your Voice!”
HOW IT WORKS
Students submit their completed works of art to their local school PTA's Reflections contest. Students can reference detailed entry guidelines posted by their school PTA or here in the and review National Award winners here.
* If your school PTA hasn't been sharing information about Reflections, reach out to your school PTA! They may need a volunteer to help organize the arts contest for your school community.
- Local Units submit winning entries from their school's Reflections Arts Contest to their City/County Council PTA and hold a School Student Awards Celebration. (If your school is not located in a Council, then your school's winning entries should be submitted directly to Virginia PTA)
- Council PTAs submit the winning entries from their Council PTA to to the Virginia PTA, and hold a Council Student Awards Celebration.
- Virginia PTA submits our state's winning entries to National PTA to compete against students from across the United States
- Local School PTAs and County/City Council PTAs annoucnce and celebrate their student's entries throughout the fall. State and National winners will be announced and celebrated in the spring. National winners
NATIONAL PTA AWARDS
- Merit Award: Bronze Medal; Certificate of Merit; Work featured in the virtual exhibition
- Award of Excellence: $200 Young Artist Scholarship; Silver Medal; Certificate of Excellence; Work featured in the virtual exhibition
- Outstanding Interpretation Award: $800 Young Artist Scholarship; Gold Medal; Certificate of Outstanding Interpretation; Work featured in the virtual exhibition; $200 Prize for Local PTA Unit
Local Unit PTAs can get started planning a Reflections Arts Contest for their school using the 2022-2023 Local Unit Leaders Reflections Arts Program Resources (linked above) and National PTA Local Leader Learning Course & Arts Eduction Resources
If you have questions or need support please contact your Council PTA chairperson or Katie Street, Virginia PTA's Reflections Chair at ArtsinEducation@vapta.org.
All final entries sent to the Virginia PTA will be electronic.
Nov. 11th - Local Unit winners due to Virginia PTA (IF not in a Council)
Dec. 30th - Council PTA winners due to Virginia PTA
Mar. 15th: Virginia PTA winners announced
May. National PTA Winners announced
Reflections 2024-2025 Theme Contest
Nov. 1st - Theme entries due to Virginia PTA
Dec. 15th - Virginia PTA announces Virginia’s winning theme entry
May. 2023 - National PTA announces winning theme (see past themes)
PAST & FUTURE REFLECTIONS CONTESTS
Virginia PTA 2021-2022 Winners List "I Will Change the World By"
Theme for 2023-2024 is: 'I Am Hopeful Because...'
2022-23 REFLECTIONS SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS: UNREPRESENTED LOCAL UNITS ONLY
An unrepresented local unit is one that does not have an active council in their county/city. You can find your Council affiliation in your MemberHub account. If you are unsure about your status as a represented or unrepresented local unit, please email Katie Street at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm.
If you are an unrepresented local unit and are ready to submit your first-place Reflections entries, please use this Google form for each submission. A new form will need to be completed for each submission. Once you have completed a Google Form submission for each of the entries you are advancing, please email Katie Street at the above email address to gain access to your DropBox to submit the art files. As a reminder, VAPTA is only able to accept digital files this year. No physical art will be accepted. If you require assistance with this, please reach out for help.
While there are no formal requirements for labeling files, please indicate the category, division, and student’s last name. Please also ensure the rules for file type are followed. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or need any assistance during this process