Virginia PTA Legislative Priorities are adopted annually in the spring at the conclusion of the General Assembly Session by the Virginia PTA Board of Directors to set direction for the coming year. Legislative Priorites are based on existing position statements and/or resolutions and highlight areas where legislative action is needed to address statewide concerns that affect children and youth. Resolutions adopted at Virginia PTA Annual Meetings are automatically legislative priorities for the General Assembly session following thier approval.
- COVID-19 Legislation & Resources
- pdf 2020 U.S. Congress - Priorities Packet (602 KB)
- pdf 2020 General Assembly - Priorities Packet (946 KB)
- pdf 2020 General Assembly - Bill Watchlist (105 KB)
- pdf 2019-2020 Legislative Priorities - Full Talking Points (281 KB)
Virginia PTA Position Statements are adopted by the Virginia PTA Board of Directors and are official documents based on our mission, research and/or previous resolutions or positions of either Virginia PTA or National PTA. Position Statements outline the opinion, will, or intent of the association to address a current statewide situation or concern that affects children and youth and which requires statewide or national attention and action to address.
- Virginia's Phased School Reopening (June 18, 2020) || Virginia PTA Fall 2020 Return to School Survey (June 18, 2020)
- Advancing Equity & Diversity (Amended June 18, 2020)
- National PTA Dues (April 27, 2019)
Letters on Public Policy
Virginia PTA periodically issues formal letters to elected officials or government agencies; signs-on to coalition letters; or provides formal comment to support and advance our positions, resolutions, state legislative prioriities and mission. Virginia PTA may join with National PTA, other state PTAs as well as other education, civic, civil rights and advocacy associations to amplify our collective messages to elected officials or administration.
- pdf USDA School Meal Waiver Extension until June 30, 2021 Sign-On (257 KB) (September 2020)
- pdf Standards of Quality Public Comment for the Board of Education Review (154 KB) (August 2020)
- pdf USDA School Meal Access Pandemic Waiver Sign-On (209 KB) (August 2020)
- USDA Simplifying Meal Service Rules Roll-back (April 2020)
- Block Grant Federal Broadband Funds to Virginia (November 2019)
- Funding for Virginia's Poison Control Centers (November 2019)
- SNAP Categorical Eligibility (September 2019)
- ESSA Report Card (April 2019)
Virginia PTA collaborates with other associations to amplify work on our positions, resolutions, state legislative priorties and mission. This periodically results in a joint study or recommendation to advance shared priorities.
- May 2020 Summer Childcare Survey & Policy Recommendations (with Voices for Virginia's Children & Families Forward Virginia)
Contact Vice President of Advocacy